Thursday, May 20, 2010

Week 8.Hi!

Well, late again.  What a week .  I've been trying to get all my grad student observations in plus reading theses and attending oral defenses.  That's in addition to everything else that goes on around here.

This week we are going back to Ch.8, Science Fiction and Fantasy. To be honest, these are two genre that are not my favorites but they certainly are with YA's.  Just look at the Twilight Series and how that has taken off.

I'd like each of you to talk in your book group about why this genre is so popular with adolescents.  I would also like to see your blogs about visualizing:  Do you already do this in your class and if so how?  Or can you design a visualizing activity to include in your text set?  This is a powerful but sometimes difficult strategy for students because in this day and age, most of the visualizing is already done for them through TV, video games, games, etc.  How can we help YA's return to using their imaginations?  And why is that important?

Will this rain ever stop?  I do see blue sky as I write this.  Maybe I'm just optimistic enough.  In any case, have a great week.  The term is really coming to an end quickly.


Happy reading!
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment