Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Week 3 assignments April 14-20

Hi, I'm back from my out-of-state trip and am so far behind it's scary.  Had to teach or go to meetings most of yesterday and then had a rehearsal in the evening.  Out in the schools this am to observe a graduate practicum student.  Now to Ed 591.

A few housekeeping notes:
You all need to become follower of each person in the class and respond to their posts.  I notice that some only have a few followers on their blog.  This is how we become a community. 

I'm not sure that all of you have finished the movie assignment.  I know that I confused some of you by saying that the movie was for this week.  Please post that so we can keep up-to-date.  It's hard to go back and catch up on all of you.

Assignments:
1.  This week you have the reading assignment from the syllabus, Chapter 3 - Trends, Issues and Censorship.  Please let us all know if you have dealt with a censorship issue in your district.  How was it dealt with, what book, how was it resolved.  I did post on one of the first days about an incident in the Salem-Keizer district.  Be sure to read the article.

I also want you to design a survey to give to your students.  Find out their favorite magazines, books, video games, movie, TV programs, etc.  Please give your survey to at least 20-40 middle or high school students.  Tally your findings.  Email me a copy of your survey but  talk about your tops five hits from each category on your post for April 27th. Then talk about some of these questions as more: Did you find out anything that surprised you?  Shocked you?  How well do you know your students?  

2.  Read a challenged book and talk about it on your blog.

Happy Reading!  Spring is here!
Sue


  

4 comments:

  1. Is a challenged book just one of the books on the Newbery list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was assuming a "challenged book" was a book that has faced censorship?

    Also, regarding the survey. I'm a substitute teacher, so I assume you just want me to contact a teacher I sub for frequently and see if I can give the survey to her class? I have two sixth grade teachers that should be open to that, and three 5th grade teachers that would also do it, if you didn't mind 5th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My question is similar to Kim's... what do we do if we don't have a classroom??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, also in regards to the Statesman Journal article, could you please tell us what the name of the article was? When I click on the link, it says "Page Not Found".

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete